Groups are offered when there are enough participants who are ready to start one. A therapist will talk with you about what group therapy is like, what to expect and whether you are ready to join a group. One of the benefits of being in a group is sharing with other men* who have also experienced trauma. We do charge a fee of $25.00 per session for groups and there may be limited subsidies available.
You are Not Alone: Stage 1 Trauma Recovery is currently running.
You are Not Alone: Stage I Group is a 10-week educational program intended to support and begin to facilitate the healing process for masculine identified adults who have experienced the effects of trauma. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can disrupt a person’s social, physical, mental, and emotional worlds leaving them in a state of heightened anxiety for years. PTSD affects one’s ability to cope with everyday stressors, to navigate relationships, and to care for themselves limiting their capacity to experience a true sense of life satisfaction. The group is designed to provide tools and to build skills to assist participants to:
- increase their personal health and well-being
- increase their sense of connection and belonging
- increase their ability to create personal safety so they can begin to navigate difficult emotions (e.g. anger, sadness, shame) outside of the group
- decrease overall stress through helping clients understand how to more effectively manage and reduce PTSD-specific symptoms (e.g., avoidance, intrusive thoughts/memories, anxiety, depression)
Groups typically run in September and January and a brief screening interview is required in order to participate. Please contact us if you are interested in more information and/or want to take that step to move forward in your healing and recovery from PTSD within an inclusive, safe, and supportive group environment.
The Stage Two Trauma Recovery Group is being planned.
The Stage II Trauma Group focuses on the shared experience of trauma, so seldom discussed openly or in a thoughtful, corrective/healing way among men*. In particular, in a Stage 2 group participants will support each other in the disclosure and bearing witness to each-others’ stories of trauma. The structure of the group allows for the following:
- normalization and a sense of inclusion, through increased awareness that other masculine identifying persons’ personal impacts/suffering from trauma are similar to their own
- validation and empathy for each others’ experiences
- building of self-confidence through empowering feedback from others
- metabolizing of the trauma “story”.
To take part in a stage two group participants must have completed the stage one group or done other similar trauma stabilization work and completed a screening interview. The group will run once we have enough men to participate. Please contact us if you are interested in continuing your journey of healing from trauma.
* man/male/boy includes cis, gay, bi-sexual, trans, non-binary, 2spirit, queer, gender fluid+